Ryan’s Ragnorak 105

“I had the pleasure of riding in the Ragnarok 105 on April 9th in Red Wing, MN.  I knew there were going to be some hills and as I was getting closer to the area, I could see that from the car.  I knew this flatlander was going to get a work out!! 

Saturday morning arrived and the event started at 7:30 am.  It was 18 deg F, so I dressed and packed some extra gloves for the temp.  It was supposed to get up to 40 degrees in the afternoon.  The wind was light and we were off!!  This was the first official grinder with my Surly Straggler.  I had a Revelate Tangle, feed bag, and tank bag on it.  I stashed a bottle of powerade and extra gloves in my Banjo Brothers seat bag.  The first stop was at Zumbro Falls,  which was mile 36.  Here, we received the next set of cue cards and could refuel at the local C store.  I topped off my water bottles and hit the road.  I chatted with a few folks as we passed or rode with each other.  There was plenty of climbing and it was fun to watch the single speeders work it up the hills.  Impressive!!  I was used to the lower gearing of my Salsa Fargo and was wishing for a couple lower gears on the Straggler!! 

I made it to the 2nd and final checkpoint at mile 81 which was Lake City.  I stopped at the local C store and bought some liquids and food.  I was feeling good and ready for the next 20 plus miles. The Norse gods were being kind so far.   I took off and a couple miles out I had a twing on the outside of my right knee.  Crap!!   It then became a constant pain.  I figured it was my IT band where it connects at the knee.  It flared up on me a few years ago at mile 23 in a marathon.  I was taking it easy and a minimum maintenance road with a big hill came up.  I had to walk it.  At this point, I wasn’t sure if I should go back to Lake City and drop, but I thought I’ll just keep going onward.  I focused on spinning more and if the hill was too much, I just walked it.  Not what I wanted, but it was what I had to do. 

I made it to the finish and was relieved to be done.  I was glad my leg made it.  I celebrated with a beer and headed to Minneapolis to spend the night at my brother-in-law’s.  I nursed my wounds with a few tasty brews and it was a fun time to catch up with ilke.  I took it easy for a few days and did some foam rollering with some Vitamin I.  I’m on the mend and now getting ready for the next event!!”

-Ryan H.


Cup O'Dirt Admin

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s